Have you ever been told that, “You must get beyond your comfort zone if you want to accomplish anything worthwhile in your life?” Would you agree that, it is a scary place to be for most of us? And that is because bigger changes stimulate feelings of discomfort within us. But did you know that there are ways to expand your comfort zone gently? Here, take a look at some of these quick and easy ways to expand your comfort zone comfortably!
- Take one step at a time. Create small changes and then increase those changes over time. This is a great way to keep the discomfort away. The thought of doing 50 push-ups for the first time in five years can be daunting but the thought of doing one won’t be a problem for most of us.
- Eat something new. Most of us are a little hesitant to try a new food, but it’s a non-threatening way to stretch your comfort zone. Try a new restaurant or a new fruit from the grocery store.
- Read something new. Read something you would ordinarily never read. If you love thrillers, try reading a romantic book. If you like reading only self-help books try picking up a novel.
- Try a new way to get to work. Follow your instincts and see where you end up. You may surprise yourself by finding a faster and easier way to get there, if not at least you will enjoy the new scenery on your way to work.
- Switch Off. Turn off your phone, the internet, and the television. Just unplug for an entire day. This will be more uncomfortable than you think, but I can promise you that you won’t regret it.
- Sit in a different place. Sit on the couch instead of your favorite chair. Choose a different seat at the dining table.
- Strike up a conversation with a stranger. It doesn’t have to be long, if you can even maintain a conversation for 30 seconds, consider yourself successful. This will also allow you to build your networking muscle.
- Apply for a job that offers a higher position. You might feel a bit scared to do that, but do it anyway. Who knows, you might just end up with a new career with a brighter future.
- Call someone you haven’t spoken to for years. Just pick up the phone and do it. You’ll feel great about it afterwards.
- Expose yourself to other cultures. If you have never travelled outside your home country, you might be in for quite a shock. The food, people, and culture can all be very different. Apply for a passport and consider where you would like to go.
- Do something that scares you. Go skydiving or ride a roller coaster. Give a speech. Take a dance class.
- Spend time with yourself. This can be tougher than you think. Turn off all your devices and just sit alone with yourself. Avoid allowing yourself to daydream. Just stay with yourself for at least 20-30 minutes.
Expanding your comfort zone will open up numerous possibilities for you. Think about how your life would change if your comfort zone were larger. It’s possible to accomplish this without the pain you might imagine. Stretch your comfort zone a little each day.
“Real change is difficult at the beginning, but gorgeous at the end. Change begins the moment you get the courage and step outside your comfort zone; change begins at the end of your comfort zone.” – Roy T. Bennett